Thursday, September 9, 2010

New challenge of commentating



I flew down from Townsville to Brisbane on Friday to prepare for the upcoming Champions League. This was slightly unusual from my previous preparations before going on tour.
Instead of packing up the kit I had to iron a few shirts and pack my good ties! There are mixed feelings at not playing in the tournament as the Airtel CLT20 is a feature of the T20 calendar and in my new role it would be great to be playing.
I am, however, excited at being part of it and at the relatively new challenge of commentating.
South Africa is always an exciting place to tour and I still have very fond memories of lifting the IPL trophy there with my Deccan teammates in 2009. After three years Hyderabad definitely feels like a second home for me but South Africa would be next on the list.
Good conditions
I spoke to a couple of players in the Australian contingent last week and they have prepared well with a tournament in the top end of Australia. The seaming decks up there are perfect to help them be ready for the SA conditions.
The Aussie teams will again be hard to beat but with the international players unavailable and several players playing for their IPL teams they won’t be at full strength. The South Africans will no doubt benefit from playing at home and the IPL teams have plenty to prove.
The exciting thing about this tournament and T20 cricket in general is that the game changes so quickly and opportunities are there for all young players to make a name for themselves.
Keiron Pollard was a standout in the last tournament and I enjoyed watching his fireworks against NSW from the commentary box. My good friend Ramnaresh Sarwan’s team, Guyana, are up this year and while they are not brimming with big names, he assures me they have the young talent to take the tournament out should they be able to perform on the day.
As a fan of West Indian cricket growing up, it is exciting to see the Windies developing some good young players in recent times.
I have tried to do the research, but in a tribute to Mark Waugh’s betting prowess I have thrown the form guide out the window. This is anyone’s tournament and to the victors go some of the most lucrative spoils on offer in the cricket world.
I am running out for a plane now so I look forward to seeing you all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment