Monday, September 6, 2010

“God knows, that's what reports say”



Pakistan batsman Yasir Hameed who reportedly backtracked after claiming that his team members fixed matches during the Australian tour last year, told an undercover reporter of News of the World that he was asked by a bookie to recommend four other teammates who might be interested in a deal.
During the conversation, he had reportedly said, the man started talking about the match-fixing row.
In the affidavit, Hameed said: “I have never spoken to the News of the Worldand I haven't said anything like this. I was only talking about what I had heard from the original News of the World reports anyway,” he said.
In the NoW video, Hameed, who played in the controversial Lord's Test, says: “It makes me angry because I'm playing my best and they are trying to lose.”
Asked whether he was “sure” that matches in Australia were fixed, Hameed who did not play in that series says: “God knows, that's what reports say.”
Claiming that he had been offered huge bribes, he said: “I could have come to see you in a Ferrari. They give you so much money that you can live out your dreams, buy a flashy car. I wouldn't get involved. That's why I was out of the team for two years.”
Pakistani cricketers Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif have been suspended by the International Cricket Council after allegations emerged of “spot-fixing” during the recent Pakistan-England Test at Lord's.

No comments:

Post a Comment