Sunday, September 5, 2010

Federer canters past Mathieu at Flushing Meadows



Five-time champion Roger Federer put the seal of approval on his first week at the U.S. Open as the second seed reached the fourth round 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 in a wind-swept victory on Saturday over Paul-Henri Mathieu.
Federer is bidding for his seventh straight final at Flushing Meadows and would love nothing more than to regain his title in eight days after losing it a year ago to Argentine Juan Del Potro.
The 29-year-old rocketed through another straight-sets sweep, his fifth win without a loss against his former rival from juniors.
Federer now stands a formidable 54-5 in New York in his quest for a record 17th career Grand Slam trophy.
“I know his potential, and I got a bit lucky in the first set when I was able to break him and maybe break his will,” said the Swiss winner. “I played great in the wind. It was so hard. I’m relieved I got through.” Federer is competing in his 44th straight major, the longest active streak for consecutive Grand Slam events played. He ended Saturday’s match with 13 aces and 31 winners, breaking four times.

No comments:

Post a Comment