Monday, August 2, 2010

Schumacher apologises to Barrichello



Michael Schumacher admitted that he was too aggressive in Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix when the seven-time world champion almost sent Rubens Barrichello into the pit wall as the two former Ferrari teammates battled for 10th place.
Barrichello was forced onto the grass by the 41-year-old German’s manoeuvre but the Williams driver still managed to overtake him.
Schumacher was subsequently handed a 10-place penalty for the Belgian Grand Prix later this month because of his actions at the Hungaroring, a punishment he now says he deserves.
“Immediately after the race yesterday I was still in the heat of the moment but after seeing the incident with Rubens again, I have to say the stewards were right in their decision. My move against him was too hard,” Schumacher said on his website.
“Naturally, I wanted to make it difficult for him to overtake me.
I clearly showed him that I didn’t want to let him pass but, looking at it rationally, I wasn’t seeking to endanger him with my manoeuvre.
If he feels I was then all I can say is sorry, this wasn’t my intention.” Schumacher’s comments come after Barrichello made clear following the race that he felt he was lucky to be alive.
“Thank God I was lucky the wall finished where it did because I was millimetres from it,” he said.
“I love racing, but what has been done to me here is literally over the top.”

No comments:

Post a Comment