Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Federer to keep his Stockholm date two years late


Roger Federer will fulfil his playing date at the Stockholm Open in October, two years after missing his original debut appearance.
Organisers announced that the Swiss world number two will head a field that also includes two-time French Open finalist Robin Soderling and Wimbledon finalist Tomas Berdych.
Federer missed his promised showing in 2008 as he opted to rest after contacting glandular fever at the start of the year.
But the Australian Open champion is expected to front up in the capital in two months, saying he owed the Stockholm public.
“I was supposed to play two years ago but my schedule was too tough. This year I have organised a better schedule, which means that I will be well prepared ... I keep my promises,” he said. “The competition has fine traditions with winners such as Borg, Edberg, Becker and Agassi and I also want my name engraved on the trophy.”
Marcos Baghdatis won the trophy a year ago while the last Swede to win was Thomas Johansson — now a tournament organiser - in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment