Thursday, October 21, 2010

Younis leaves door open for T20

Former Pakistan captain Younis Khan says he has no problems playing in any cricket format and has not ruled out an international comeback to Twenty20.
“I am not that sort of a player who says ‘I should be in Test matches, one-dayers or in T20s,’ if my fitness is up there and Pakistan needs me .... I am always available for Pakistan,” Younis told reporters.
Younis retired from Twenty20 after leading Pakistan to the World Cup victory in England last year.
He was included in the touring squad for the upcoming series against South Africa in the United Arab Emirates after resolving all disciplinary issues in a meeting with Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt.
The PCB banned Younis for an indefinite period for a dispute with Mohammad Yousuf during the ill-fated tour of Australia earlier this year.
“I can’t fight with the chairman, I can’t fight with the board, whatever I am today is because of them,” he said. “There’s no ego problem, there was just some misunderstanding, which is now cleared.”
Coach Waqar Younis welcomed Younis and believed the 32-year-old middle-order batsman was in top physical condition.
“He’s been a great server for the last 12-14 years,” the coach said. “He is fitter than most of the (other) players.
“As a captain, as a player and as a senior member of the team he has done wonders and it’s good that he is back in the team.”
Waqar said despite all the controversies, his young team fought well against England and Australia in Test matches.
“Match-fixing and spot-fixing are not my problems, it’s cricket board’s matter and they are solving it,” he said. “Unfortunately on the England tour it happened, which is bad for cricket - not only for Pakistan but overall it was not good for cricket.”
“Despite off field controversies, cricketing wise it was a pretty successful tour with such a young side.”
Pakistan will play two Twenty20 internationals, five one-day internationals and two Test matches against South Africa, beginning next Tuesday in Abu Dhabi.
Waqar believed that his team was capable of beating South Africa in the Twenty20s, but expected tough opposition in both ODIs and Test matches.
“When it comes to limited-overs cricket they (South Africa) are very fine side and are among the top three-four teams in the world,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment